Structure of a tutorial
What tutees can expect
- Warm up (optional)— basic maths revision eg for H maths powers/indices/exponents etc
- Prepped bit (optional) — eg checking on previous week, say, completing the square
- Tutee’s bit — What questions do you have this week? This will be the bulk of the tutorial session.
- what we did in the session
- what questions were asked
- can we ask better questions?
- can we improve our solutions?
- chance to ask if any clarification is needed
- Reminder to think about your maths/revise your maths
- we will tackle exam questions on a topic when you indicate that it is completed in class
- other study tips
- Your feedback on the tutorial— I will ask you at the end (and in the middle) of the tutorial
- Also gives an opportunity for more general feedback on the overall course of your tuition — are you learning and gaining confidence from the sessions?
At various points of the school year sessions may also include:
- help with revision and exam preparation
- regular revision of basic maths eg
- place value
- adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing — written and mental
- methods of calculation and estimation
- encouraging you to develop your number skills
- looking at making more of your scientific calculator