All levels offered
I offer online tuition in mathematics for secondary pupils preparing to take:
- SQA exams up to and including:
- Advanced Higher Mathematics
- AS/A-level Further Mathematics
- Core Pure Mathematics Papers 1 & 2
- Further Core Pure Mathematics Papers 1 & 2
- STEP, TMUA, MAT
- takes the form of support and guidance using available preparatory materials. These exams require you to develop problem-solving skills that can only be acquired by doing problems.
- Please see my STEP tuition page
- And please see my Maclaurin Mathematical Olympiad page to get a flavour of mathematical problem solving
Additionally for anyone preparing to undertake:
- Any of the above exams
- Numeracy/maths exams for professional development e.g. AOSB, PGDE, Scottish Fire Service
- HNC/HND/Cert of HE/OU STEM courses with substantial maths component
- SAT and GRE tests
- First-year university-level maths
- Improving their problem-solving skills
1-2-1 tuition in maths by an experienced maths tutor offers you the help, encouragement and support you need to increase your understanding of this important school subject, and thence to improved grades. I have set up as a maths tutor in order to help people do better at maths.
I particularly welcome enquiries from potential tutees who are taking SQA National 5, or GCSE maths with a view to obtaining an A or 9 pass at both National 5, GCSE and SQA Higher, AS/A-level the following year. And also from SQA Higher, AS/A-level students aiming to get an ‘A/A*’ at both Higher and Advanced Higher, AS/A-level. Please see my page How to get an A in SQA Higher Maths
Some of my Advanced Higher tutees from previous years have gone on to study mathematics, music, engineering, economics, astrophysics, and computer science.
If you have an interest in pursuing a STEM subject at university it is advisable that you consciously work towards achieving your goal from an earlier rather than a later stage.
I am equally pleased to help anyone improve their understanding of maths, or to improve their numeracy, whatever their level, and whatever their goal.
GCSE problem solving — why it’s important and should be taken seriously
Edina Tuition 2022 — new poster
Tip of the week (w/c 29/1/23):
- remember, how well you do in maths reflects your attitude and method, not your ability
- resolve to have a better attitude and to work more effectively
- Tuition is offered on a weekly basis, I don’t offer fortnightly sessions
- Tuition is given by online means only. By doing this my hope is that I am thereby acting in a way that will reduce my carbon emissions overall.
- Online can be as good as face-to-face tuition and has many advantages
- Cumulative results for previous years can be found at Results 2013 – 2021
- For each individual tutee I use a probationary period to help me decide if my way of giving tuition will work for them. Please see What I expect of tutees
- Please read my Terms and Conditions
- by accepting tuition from me you will be agreeing to the T&C on the above linked page
If you’d like tuition for the academic year 2023/2024 please feel free to contact me at any time in advance of the start of the school year to ensure you have a tutorial slot booked.
- The first session is offered with a 75% discount to test that online tuition will work for you
- Adult, Casual learner £30 per hour
- N5, GCSE £35 per hour
- Higher, AS, A-Level, Advanced Higher £40 per hour
- STEP etc £45 per hour
- 1st-year University level £45 per hour
- a late cancellation fee of £10 with less than 24 hours’ notice
- Please enquire about a discount when you study with a friend (or friends) ie a group tutorial of 2 or more tutees
- Payments made by bank transfer
- Gary Thomson
- enquiries [at] edinatuition [dot] com
- 07728 365 330
- B Sc Mathematics
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics
- PVG — updated October 2016
Thanks for visiting my site!