What to expect of me
How I should conduct a tutorial (further suggestions welcome)
This is what I’m trying to do in each session:
- Start with What questions do you have this week? Or What would you like to talk about today?
- Give time and space to tutees to think
- Do not take over
- Allow tutees the opportunity to talk and write on the whiteboard
- Check they are understanding what is being said/written on the whiteboard
- Prompt them to question things I feel they may be unsure about
- Prompt them to take an active part
- Can you show me what you mean?
- Can you put an example on the whiteboard?
- Challenge them to:
- Ask better questions
- Write a better, clearer solution
- How could you make that clearer?
- Do not hog the limelight
- Be generous with praise
Of course, inevitably, I will do a lot of talking, but over time we want to achieve a better balance whereby you feel confident to think out loud, and to question things.
So you should expect me to give you the chance to:
- Have time to talk/answer/think out loud to allow you to develop your thoughts
- Question anything you are not sure of
- Explain what you mean
- Be encouraged to improve
- Be challenged
- Be praised where deserved
I have to write this down as I have a terrible tendency to take over tutorials. So please do not let me! It is your tutorial! Please endeavour to make the best use of your hour.