STEP Support Summer School 2021
Would you like to do some work over the summer to prepare for taking a STEP, TMUA, MAT, or AEA in 2022? The STEP support programme strongly advises that you start your preparation before entering 6th year.
I am offering support in working through the study materials, and past paper questions that are available at the STEP Support Programme, during the summer months of 2021.
If you are serious about studying maths at university then it is a good idea to cut your teeth on these types of problems which take maths at Advanced Higher and A level as a starting point and go beyond mere rule following to help you engage in mathematical thinking, and stimulate thinking about mathematics.
- first tutorial free of charge
- drop out whenever you like
- tutorials held online on a 1-2-1 basis at a mutually convenient time
- only requirement is Higher maths and a desire to improve your reasoning skills in maths
- commencing after the assessment period which will take place in schools during the Spring of 2021
Progression to SQA Advanced Higher Maths
I am also providing tuition over the summer of 2021 for those students moving on from SQA Higher Mathematics with a view to sitting SQA Advanced Higher Mathematics in the academic year 21/22 with the intent of obtaining an A grade pass. The course includes:
- Calculus for AH
- Functions and algebra
- course run along same lines as detailed above for STEP Support summer school
All Summer courses
See Summer Schools 2021 for all courses offered
All levels offered
I offer online tuition in mathematics for secondary pupils preparing to take:
- SQA exams up to and including:
- Advanced Higher Mathematics
- Advanced Higher Statistics
- Advanced Higher Mathematics of Mechanics
- AS/A level — Edexcel, AQA
- STEP, TUMA, MAT
Additionally for anyone preparing to undertake:
- Numeracy/maths exams for professional development e.g. AOSB, PGDE
- HNC/HND/Cert of HE/OU STEM courses with substantial maths component
- SAT and GRE tests
- First year university level maths
- improving their problem solving skills
1-2-1 tuition in maths by an experienced maths tutor offers you the help, encouragement and support you need to increase your understanding of this important school subject, and thence to improved grades. I have set up as a maths tutor in order to help more people to do better at maths.
I particulary welcome enquiries from potential tutees who are taking SQA National 5 maths with a view to obtaining an ‘A’ pass at both National 5, and Higher the following year. And also from Higher students aiming to get an ‘A’ at both Higher and Advanced Higher.
Some of my Advanced Higher tutees from previous years have gone on to study mathematics, music, engineering, economics, and medicine.
If you have an interest in pursuing a STEM subject at university it is advisable that you consciously work towards achieving your goal from an earlier rather than a later stage.
And consider this: I have had two Russian tutees in the recent past, and was told by the head of the Russian community in Edinburgh that even in Soviet Russia people would hire mathematics tutors — people simply wanted to get better at maths! I know! — unbelievable!
I am equally pleased to help anyone with improving their understanding of maths, or with improving their numeracy, whatever their level, and whatever their goal.
- Gary Thomson
- enquiries [at] edinatuition [dot] com
- 07728 365 330
- Tuition is offered on a weekly basis, I don’t offer fortnightly sessions
- During the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic all tuition is online
- Cumulative results for previous years can be found at Results 2013 – 2020
- First session is free to test that online tuition will work for you
- £40 per hour for online thereafter
- Please note: for those suffering hardship due to the continuing SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, I am offering a sliding scale whereby they may elect to pay any amount greater than £30 to a maximum of £40 depending on their budget
- B Sc Mathematics
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics
- PVG — updated October 2016
- Edinburgh/Lothians based
Thanks for visiting my site!